21 March 2013

Review: The Legend of Mickey Tussler

The Legend of Mickey Tussler: A Novel by Frank Nappi
Publisher: Sky Pony Press
Publication Date: April 1, 2012
Number of Pages: 292
Book Format: Paperback
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received The Legend of Mickey Tussler from the author for my honest review.

When I was first asked to read and review I was a little skeptical because although I do love baseball it’s not my favorite topic to read about all the time. But after reading the synopsis and learning about the main character Mickey who has autism but still wants to be a baseball store. His story is very inspiring.

We meet Mickey while he is still living on his farm with his mother and his abusive father. Immediately I felt sorry for him because people didn’t really understand autism back then so basically anyone that had it was just labeled a retard. This Is exactly what poor Mickey had to deal with everywhere even from his own father. But luckily coach for the Milwaukee Brewers Arthur Murphy comes along and gives Mickey the chance of a lifetime.

I ended up really enjoying this story. I loved Mickey’s character a lot. He was entertaining, always had something positive to say no matter what was going on. He was a very talkative person and I loved that, so it annoyed me when the people he was babbling to would get annoyed because he was just talking I mean he can’t really help it. But I think I got over that quickly because Mickey didn’t seem to mind much when people told him to shut up.

His mom, Molly is another person I felt bad for because she was stuck in a nightmare that she couldn’t get out of. She hated the fact that her husband abused her and Mickey both verbally and physically. She really needed a way out and thankfully baseball was her savior as well.

I was a little afraid that because this book is about baseball that some of the game scenes would bore me but they didn’t at all. Every time there was a game in the book I actually felt like I was watching one and I was on the edge of my chair every time there was a stressful game!

I very much enjoyed this book which I gave a 4 out of 5 stars, and I can’t wait to check out what happens next in the companion novel Sophomore Campaign.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs